"COTTON, a township in that part of the parish of SANDBACH which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from Middlewich, containing 81 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Cotton was a township in Church Hulme chapelry of Sandbach ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 7467), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- In 1936 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Cranage. This area subsequently became part of the civil parish of Holmes Chapel in 1982.
- The population was 77 in 1801, 92 in 1851, and 21 in 1901.
For the period after 1936, see Cranage
- 1936 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Cranage (375 acres, pop. 33 in 1931)
- Congleton Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Congleton Rural District (1894-1936)