Hide

Cotton Edmunds

hide
Hide

"COTTON (EDMUND'S), a township in the parish of CHRISTLETON, lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, 4¼ miles (E. by S.) from Chester, containing 85 inhabitants. It derives its name from Edmund de Cotton, who formerly possessed it." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Cotton Edmunds was a township in Christleton ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4664), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • The population was 73 in 1801, 68 in 1851, 62 in 1901, 28 in 1951, and 25 in 2001.
  • In 2015 the civil parish was abolished and incorporated into Christleton.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Great Boughton (1837-69)
  • Chester (1870-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012-15)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1888 March 24 — Gained a detached part of Cotton Abbotts (21 acres, pop. 5 in 1891, including Stamford Mill Farm)
  • 1963 April 1 — Gained parts of Foulk Stapleford (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), Hockenhull (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961) and Tarvin (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), and lost parts to Christleton (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), Foulk Stapleford (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), Hockenhull (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961) and Tarvin (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-71)
  • Tarvin (1871-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1954)
  • Northwich (1955-74)