Crewe (near Wybunbury)
"CREWE, a township in that part of the parish of BARTHOMLEY which is in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 4½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Sandbach, containing 297 inhabitants. A charity school was founded in 1729, pursuant to the will of Thomas Leadbeater, Esq., who bequeathed £30 for the erection of a school-house, and £120 for the maintenance of a master." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Crewe was a township in Barthomley ancient parish, Nantwich hundred (SJ 7354), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The population was 289 in 1801, 365 in 1851, 406 in 1901, and 182 in 1951.
For the period after 1984, see Crewe Green.
- Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Nantwich Rural District (1894-1974)
- Crewe & Nantwich (1974-84)