Hide

Crewe (near Farndon)

hide
Hide

"CREWE, a township in the parish of FARNDON, higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, 6¼ miles (N. W.) from Malpas, containing 47 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Dee." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Crewe was a township in Farndon ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4252), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • The population was 29 in 1801, 73 in 1851, 56 in 1901, 61 in 1951, and 16 in 2001.
  • In 2015 the civil parish was abolished and incorporated into Farndon.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Great Boughton (1837-69)
  • Chester (1871-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012-15)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 2015 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Farndon.
topup

Politics & Government

  • Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-71)
  • Tarvin (1871-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)