Hide

Darnhall

hide
Hide

"DARNHALL, a township in the parish of WHITEGATE, or NEW CHURCH, first division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Middlewich, containing 207 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Darnhall was a township in Whitegate ancient parish, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 6463)., which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • Included the hamlets of Ashbrook (part), Beauty Bank, School Green (part only until 1936), and Smithy Bank.
  • The population was 197 in 1801, 186 in 1851, 300 in 1901, 212 in 1951, and 214 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Northwich (1837-1974)
  • Vale Royal (1974-98)
  • Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Eddisbury (1828-1906)
  • Winsford (1906-74)
  • Vale Royal (1974-2012)
  • West Cheshire (2012+)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1892 March 25 — Gained the whole of Weaver (pop. 111 in 1901)
  • 1936 April 1 — Gained part of School Green from Over (33 acres, pop. 24 in 1931), and lost part to Winsford (8 acres, pop. 6 in 1931)
  • 1988 April 1 — Lost part to Winsford
topup

Politics & Government

  • Northwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Northwich Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Vale Royal (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Northwich
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)