"DAVENHAM, a parish in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Bostock, Davenham, Eaton, Leftwich, Moulton, Newhall, Rudheath, Shipbrook, Shurlach, Stanthorne, Wharton, and Whatcroft, and containing 3470 inhabitants, (exclusively of 97 in the township of Rudheath, which are returned with the parishes of Great Budworth and Sandbach) of which number, 379 are in the township of Davenham, 2¼ miles (S.) from Northwich. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £23. 13. 1½., and in the patronage of R. W. Tomkinson, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Wilfred. Dayenham derives its name from its situation on the river Daven, or Dane. A school, founded more than a century since, is supported by a rent-charge on Shipbrook-hill farm, and other benefactions, amounting together to about £20 per annum. In the lordship of Rudheath, in this parish, an action was fought on the 22nd of February, 1643, between the king's troops and the parliamentary forces under Sir William Brereton." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Davenham (pronounced Day'vnum), also a township in Davenham ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 6571), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlet of Mere Heath.
- The population was 327 in 1801, 552 in 1851, 706 in 1901, 2305 in 1951, and 5655 in 2001.
- Northwich (1837-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Northwich (1828-71)
- Leftwich (1871-99)
- Northwich (1899-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-2012)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Davenham to another place.
Places associated with Davenham ancient parish with separate pages
- Bostock; Davenham; Eaton (near Davenham); Kingsmead ??; Leftwich; Moulton; Newhall (near Davenham)
- Rudheath; Shipbrook; Shurlach; Stanthorne; Stanthorne & Wimboldsley; Wharton; Whatcroft
- 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Eaton (near Davenham) (427 acres, pop. 75 in 1931), Hartford (2 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), Leftwich (712 acres, pop. 1021 in 1931) and Over (1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931)
- 1955 April 1 — Lost part to Northwich (26 acres, pop. 190 in 1951).
- 1988 April 1 — Gained parts of Rudheath and Whatcroft, and lost parts to Moulton and Northwich.
- 2011 April 1 — Lost part to the new parish of Kingsmead.
- 2015 April 1 — Gained part of Rudheath.
You can see the administrative areas in which Davenham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ707692 (Lat/Lon: 53.219478, -2.440572), Davenham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Northwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Northwich Rural District (1894-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)