Hide

St Wilfrid, Davenham, Church of England

hide
Hide
image
Hide

St Wilfrid,
Church Street,
Davenham

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

The church has/had a graveyard.

topup

Church History

It was founded in 1560.

An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Bostock, Davenham, Eaton, Leftwich, Moulton, Newhall, Shipbrook, Shurlach, Stanthorne, Wharton and Whatcroft, and part of the township of Rudheath. 

The district was affected by the following boundary changes: 

  • 1846 March 10 — reduced when part of Leftwich township was transferred to Dane Bridge: St. Paul. 
  • 1848 April 25 — reduced when part of Rudheath township was transferred to Byley cum Lees: St. John the Evangelist. 
  • 1860 March 10 — reduced when the townships of Stanthorne and Whatcroft were transferred to Wharton: Christ Church. 
  • 1877 December 18 — reduced when most of the township of Moulton and a small part of the township of Bostock were transferred to Moulton: St. Stephen the Martyr. 
  • 1930 December 2 — reduced when the former township of Shurlach (containing Witton Lodge, Richard Street, Shipbrook Road, Shurlach Fields, Shurlach Farm, Bridge Farm, Bleakhouse Farm, Ash Bank, Lower Shurlach, Bridgefarm Cottages, Old Broken Cross Inn, Broken Cross, Bradford Farm, Higher Shurlach, Tanyard Farm, School Road, School, Canal Side Farm, and High House, as well as the chapel of Rudheath: St. Thomas) was transferred to Witton: St. Helen. 
  • 1930 December 2 — enlarged to include part of the abolished parish of Dane Bridge: St. Paul,. 
topup

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts 

Original Registers C 1560-1943 ; M 1560-1988 ; B 1560-1937 — Cheshire Archives (P 6)
C from 1943 ; M from 1988 ; B from 1938 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1560-1943 ; M 1560-1947 ; B 1560-1937 — Cheshire Archives
C 1560-1888 ; M 1560-1913 ; B 1560-1903 — Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Family History Society of Cheshire ; Northwich Library
Bishop's Transcripts 1588, 1593, 1600, 1604, 1608, 1610-14, 1617-20(?), 1623-25, 1628-30,1632-35, 1637-38, 1641, 1657-76, 1679-99, 1701-1850, 1852-55, 1857,1859-84 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Archives
1588, 1593, 1600, 1604, 1608, 1610-14, 1617-20(?), 1623-25, 1628-30,1632-35, 1637-38, 1641, 1657-76, 1679-99, 1701-1850 (microfilmed) — Family History Society of Cheshire
Copies and Indexes CMB 1560-1625, BT 1588-1664 (transcripts by J. Mitchell, 3 vols.) — Cheshire Archives
M 1610-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1754-1812 ( index by B. W. Tuff Norman) — Cheshire Archives, Society of Genealogists' Library
M 1754-1837 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry or findmypast
M 1837-1950 — Cheshire BMD (CC:122)
Monumental Inscriptions Published by the Family History Society of Cheshire (Northwich Group), 2000
topup

Maps

It is located at SJ6632371248 (Lat/Lon 53.237183, -2.506033). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide