"DELAMERE, a parish in the first division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Delamere, Eddisbury, and Oakmere, and containing 424 inhabitants, of which number, 26S are in the township of Delamere, 5¾ miles (W.) from Northwich. The living is a rectory not in charge, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church was consecrated in 1817. This parish, which includes the ancient and royal forest of Delamere, was almost wholly common land, and extra-parochial, before 1812, when it was enclosed and erected into a parish by act of parliament, certain allotments having been reserved to the crown, and others. On this occasion it first gave the title of Baron Delamere, of Vale Royal, to Thomas Cholmondeley, Esq., the proprietor of the ancient possessions of the Cistercian monks of Vale Royal, whose sumptuous abbey, completed in 1330 by Edward I., cost £32,000; it was dedicated to our Lord Jesus Christ, the Virgin Mary, St. Nicholas, and St. Nichasius, and in the 26th of Henry VIII. had a revenue of £540. 6. 2. The sessions for the division are annually held, on the 22nd of March, also monthly meetings of the county magistrates, at a new inn, called the Abbey Arms, in the centre of the forest. At the time of the meeting in March there are races, termed the Tanfield hunt, at which two cups are given to be run for by the county, and one by the trainers. Delamere Forest, which once contained a great number of red and fallow deer, exhibits a pleasing variety of well-wooded hills, rich vallies for pasturage, meres affording plenty of fish and aquatic fowl, and mosses producing an abundance of turf and peat for fuel. Upon the highest hill stood the Saxon fortress of Finborrow, and near it a city, both of which are said to have been founded by Ethelfleda, daughter of Alfred the Great; the latter, called Eadesbury (the happy town), gave name to the hundred, but the ancient residence of the chief forester is all that now remains; this house is termed the Chamber in the Forest, and at convenient distances around it are neat lodges for the keepers of the several walks. About half of the forest has been planted, and still belongs to the crown, the remainder having been either sold, or allotted to different individuals." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Delamere, also a township in Delamere ancient parish, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 5468)—created in 1812 out of the previously extra-parochial area of Delamere Forest—which became a civil parish in 1866.
- It included the hamlets of Birch Hill, Boothsdale, Castle Hill, Kelsall Hill (part), Organsdale, Primrose Hill, Roughlow (part), Seven Lows and Willington Corner (part).
- The population was 498 in 1851, 612 in 1901, 1170 in 1951, and 1028 in 2001.
- In 2015 the civil parish was abolished and incorporated into Delamere & Oakmere, Kelsall, Utkinton & Cotebrook, and Willington.
- Northwich (1837-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Delamere to another place.
Places associated with Delamere ancient parish with separate pages
- 1936 April 1 — Gained the whole of Eddisbury (2085 acres, pop. 402 in 1931), part of Little Budworth (22 acres, pop. 18 in 1931) and part of Utkinton (32 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), and lost part to Utkinton (13 acres, pop. 19 in 1931)
- 1988 April 1 — Lost parts to Kelsall (30 acres, pop. 592 in 1988), Little Budworth and Norley.
- 2015 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Delamere & Oakmere, Kelsall, Utkinton & Cotebrook, and Willington.
You can see the administrative areas in which Delamere has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ556700 (Lat/Lon: 53.225598, -2.66706), Delamere which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Northwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Northwich Rural District (1894-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)