Disley / Distley
"DISTLEY, a chapelry in the parish of STOCKPORT, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 6¾ miles (S. E.) from Stockport, containing 1533 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £8 per annum private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Thomas Legh, Esq. The chapel, dedicated to All Saints, which was rebuilt in 1558, in the later style of English architecture, has an embattled tower; also windows of stained glass, exhibiting several portraits and armorial bearings. A school is endowed with £10. 5. per annum, the produce of divers benefactions. The Peak Forest canal passes through the parish." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Disley was a township and chapelry in Stockport ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 8990), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- In 1894 the Newtown and Furness Vale areas were transferred to the county of Derbyshire.
- In 1936 there were further alterations to the county boundary with Lancashire.
- It includes the hamlets of Cockshead, Danebank, Hagg Bank, High Lane (part), Jackson's Edge, Lane Ends, Lightalders, Newtown (part, mainly in Derbyshire) and Woodend.
- The population was 995 in 1801, 2225 in 1851, 2827 in 1901, 2865 in 1951, and 4301 in 2001.
|St John the Divine, Furness Vale, Church of England|
|St Mary the Virgin, Disley, Church of England|
|Buxton Road, Disley, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Lodge Chapel, Disley, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Station Road, Furness Vale, Methodist (United Free)|
|Ring O Bells Lane, Disley, Society of Friends (Quaker)|
- Hayfield (1837-1937)
- North East Cheshire (1937-74)
- Macclesfield (1974-98)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Disley / Distley to another place.
- 1936 April 1 — Gained part of New Mills, Derbyshire (6 acres, pop. 0 in 1931) and part of Yeardsley cum Whaley (96 acres, pop. 0 in 1931)
You can see the administrative areas in which Disley / Distley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ973846 (Lat/Lon: 53.358271, -2.042031), Disley / Distley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Hayfield Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- New Mills Urban Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Disley Rural District (1894-1974).