"EASTHAM, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Eastham, Hooton, Nether Pool, Over Pool, Great Sutton, Little Sutton, Thornton-Childer, and a part of that of Whitby, and containing 1430 inhabitants, of which number, 368 are in the township of Eastham, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Great Neston. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £12. 13., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. About a mile from the village is a ferry on the Mersey, called Eastham ferry; and at the ferry-house is usually held the yearly meeting of the Wirrall Agricultural Society. There are two or three small bequests for the education of poor children." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Eastham, also a township in Eastham ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 3580), became a civil parish in 1866.
- Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of Merseyside.
- It includes the hamlets of Carlett Park and Plymyard.
- The population was 348 in 1801, 419 in 1851, 913 in 1901, and 5598 in 1951.
- Eastham Churchyard, Eastham Village Road. Maintained jointly by the local authority and St. Mary's Church.
- Plymyard Cemetery, Bride Road. Opened 1930.
- Eastham: St. Mary (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Eastham.
- Eastham, United Reformed Church, Crossthwaite Avenue. Founded in 1943.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eastham to another place.
Places associated with Eastham ancient parish with separate pages
- Childer Thornton; Eastham; Ellesmere Port; Great Sutton; Hooton; Little Sutton
- Netherpool; Overpool; Sutton, Great; Sutton, Little; Thornton, Childer; Whitby
You can see the administrative areas in which Eastham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ377776 (Lat/Lon: 53.291752, -2.935753), Eastham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Wirral Rural District (1894-1933)
- Bebington Urban District (1933-37)
- Bebington Municipal Borough (1937-1974)
- Wirral [Merseyside] (1974+)