Hide

Eastham

hide
Hide

"EASTHAM, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Eastham, Hooton, Nether Pool, Over Pool, Great Sutton, Little Sutton, Thornton-Childer, and a part of that of Whitby, and containing 1430 inhabitants, of which number, 368 are in the township of Eastham, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Great Neston. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £12. 13., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. About a mile from the village is a ferry on the Mersey, called Eastham ferry; and at the ferry-house is usually held the yearly meeting of the Wirrall Agricultural Society. There are two or three small bequests for the education of poor children." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Eastham, also a township in Eastham ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 3580), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of Merseyside.
  • It includes the hamlets of Carlett Park and Plymyard.
  • The population was 348 in 1801, 419 in 1851, 913 in 1901, and 5598 in 1951.
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • Eastham Churchyard, Eastham Village Road. Maintained jointly by the local authority and St. Mary's Church.
  • Plymyard Cemetery, Bride Road. Opened 1930.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Wirral (1837-1974)
  • Birkenhead (1974-98)
  • Wirral (1998+)
topup

Court Records

  • Wirral (1828+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Eastham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"EASTHAM, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of Wirrall, county palatine of Chester, 5 miles N.E. of Great Neston, and 9 N.W. of Chester. It is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Mersey, near the Birkenhead railway, and is a ferry station, from which boats cross to Liverpool several times daily. The parish contains the townships of Ellesmere Port, Eastham, Hooton, Nether and Over Pool, Great and Little Sutton, Thornton-Childer, and Whitby. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Chester, value £240, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is a commodious edifice, with tower and spire, built by Inigo Jones. It is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains some handsome monuments of the Stanley's and others. There is also a district church at Ellesmere Port, the living of which is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the bishop. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum, £7 of which are for the free school. There is a National school for boys and girls. Richard C. Naylor, Esq., is lord of the manor."

"CHILDER THORNTON, (or Thornton Childer), a township in the parish of Eastham, in the higher division of the hundred of Wirrall, in the county of Chester, 7 miles S. of Birkenhead, 8 N.W. of Chester, and 1 from the Hooton and Sutton stations of the Birkenhead, Lancashire, and Cheshire railway.

"ELLESMERE PORT, a hamlet in the parish of Eastham, county palatine of Chester, 7 miles N. of the city of Chester. It is situated on the banks of the river Mersey, at the entrance to the Ellesmere canal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, in the patronage of the bishop."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Eastham ancient parish with separate pages

 

You can see the administrative areas in which Eastham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ377776 (Lat/Lon: 53.291752, -2.935753), Eastham which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Wirral Rural District (1894-1933)
  • Bebington Urban District (1933-37)
  • Bebington Municipal Borough (1937-1974)
  • Wirral [Merseyside] (1974+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Wirral
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Wirral (1885-1948)
  • Bebington (1948-74)