Elton (near Sandbach)
"ELTON, a township in the parish of WARMINGHAM, hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 2¼ miles (W. by S.) from Sandbach, containing 379 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Elton was a township in Warmingham ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 7259), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- In 1970 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Moston.
- It included part of the hamlet of Clay Lanes.
- The population was 331 in 1801, 444 in 1851, 393 in 1901, and 201 in 1951.
For the period after 1970, see Moston.
- Congleton Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Congleton Rural District (1894-1936 & 1970-74)
- Congleton (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)