Built in 1882 as the district church for the township of Stockport Etchells (previously served by Stockport: St. Thomas). The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Saint James, Gatley" were described in the London Gazette on 30 June 1882:
"All that outlying and detached part of the parish of Saint Thomas Stockport in the county of Chester and in the diocese of Chester which is comprised within and is co-extensive with the limits of the township of Stockport Etchells."
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1958 February 25 — reduced when the following area was transferred to Cheadle: St. Mary: "All those parts of the parish of Saint James, Gatley, which lie to the south and east of the middle of Wilmslow Road and to the north of the boundary which divides the parish of Cheadle from the parish of All Saints. Cheadle Hulme".
- 1958 February 25 — reduced when the following area was transferred to Cheadle Hulme: All Saints: ""All that part of the parish of Saint James, Gatley, which lies to the east of the middle of Wilmslow Road and to the south of the boundary which divides the parish of All Saints, Cheadle Hulme, from the parish of Cheadle"
- 1958 February 25 — reduced when part of Gatley was transferred to Heald Green: St. Catherine.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
|Original Registers||C 1876-1944 ; M 1882-1932 — Cheshire Archives (P 254)|
C from 1944 ; M from 1932 — Church
|Microfilm Copies||M 1882-1932 — Cheshire Archives ; Family History Society of Cheshire|
|Bishop's Transcripts||1881-97, 1899 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Archives|
|Copies and Indexes||M 1882-1987 — Cheshire BMD (ST:ST69)|
|Notes||B — none|