"GAWSWORTH, a parish in the hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 3½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Macclesfield, containing 804 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's hooks at £7. 4. 4½., and in the patronage of the Earl of Harrington. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a handsome structure. There is a small sum for the education of children. The New Macclesfield canal, connecting the Grand Trunk with the Peak Forest, passes through the eastern side of the parish. Courts leet and haron are held annually." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Gawsworth, also a township and ancient parish in Macclesfield hundred (SJ 8869), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Danes Moss, Dighills, Gawsmoor Hill, High Lane, Moss Houses, Shellow, Tidnock, Walkers Heath, Warren, Whitemoor and Woodhouse End.
- The population was 697 in 1801, 788 in 1851, 573 in 1901, 1093 in 1951, and 1673 in 2001.
- Macclesfield (1837-1998)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gawsworth to another place.
"GAWSWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Macclesfield, county palatine Chester, 3 miles S.W. of Macclesfield, its post town, and 6 N. of Congleton. The North Staffordshire railway and the Macclesfield section of the Grand Trunk canal pass through the parish. The scenery in this neighbourhood is rich and varied, comprising a large extent of woodland and plantation, with several small lakes. Many of the houses are old, and built of wood. This place is mentioned in Domesday Book as forming part of the demesne of Earl Ranulph, who gave it to Hugh Bigod, Earl of Chester, for a caparisoned horse. A court-leet and a court-baron are held at Martinmas. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £734. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower surmounted with pinnacles, and dedicated to St. James. It contains monuments of the Fitton family. There is a National school with a small endowment. The ancient manor-house, formerly the residence of Lord Mohun, is now a farmhouse. The Earl of Harrington is lord of the manor."
You can see the administrative areas in which Gawsworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ895694 (Lat/Lon: 53.221914, -2.159285), Gawsworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)