Hide

St James the Great, Gawsworth, Church of England

hide
Hide
image
Hide

St James the Great,
Church Lane,
Gawsworth

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

The church has/had a graveyard.

topup

Church History

It was founded in 1557.

Church History

An ancient parish church, serving the township of Gawsworth, and parts of the townships of Henbury cum Pexall, Marton (near Congleton) and North Rode. 

Boundary Changes

The district was affected by the following boundary changes: 

  • 1728 — reduced when the part of the township of Marton was transferred to Marton: St. James & St. Paul. 
  • 1845 — reduced when the part of the township of Henbury cum Pexall was transferred to Henbury: St. Thomas. 
  • 1846 — reduced when the part of the township of North Rode was transferred to North Rode: St. Michael. 
  • 1962 January 25 — (details not available) 

 

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts 

Original Registers C 1557-1999 ; M 1557-2008 ; B 1557-1993 — Cheshire Archives (P 193)
C from 1999 ; M from 2008 ; B from 1993 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1557-1885 ; M 1557-1958 ; B 1557-1993 — Cheshire Archives
M 1837-1958 ; B 1813-1860 — Macclesfield Library
Bishop's Transcripts 1586, 1590, 1600, 1623-24, 1630-31, 1635-41, 1662, 1664-65, 1667-69,1671-72, 1675-85, 1687, 1691-1833, 1835-39, 1841-42, 1851, 1867-68 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Archives
Copies and Indexes CMB 1557-1837 — published in: The Registers of the Parish Church of Gawsworth in the County of Chester, edited by R. Dickinson (Ancient Monuments Society, 1955)
C 1557-1885 ; B 1557-1997 — published by North Cheshire Family History Society
M 1557-1812 — published in: Cheshire Parish Registers: Marriages, vol. 1 (Phillimore, 1909)
M 1557-1837 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry or findmypast
M 1557-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-2008 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1040)
B 1557-1997 — National Burial Index
Monumental Inscriptions Published by North Cheshire Family History Society, 1979 (partial)
Notes C 1667-1673 — omitted from registers
topup

Maps

It is located at SJ8898669670 (Lat/Lon 53.223956, -2.166421). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide