Hide

Grafton

hide
Hide

"GRAFTON, a township in the parish of TILSTON, higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, 4½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Malpas, containing 21 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Grafton was a township in Tilston ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4451), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • The population was 23 in 1801, 12 in 1851, 2 in 1901, 4 in 1951, and 3 in 2001.
  • In 2015 the civil parish ws abolished and incorporated into Tilston.
Hide
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012-15)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 2015 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Tilston.
topup

Politics & Government

  • Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-71)
  • Tarvin (1871-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)