Hide

Grappenhall

hide
Hide

"GRAPPENHALL, a parish in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the chapelry of Latchford, and the township of Grappenhall, and containing 1652 inhabitants, of which number, 400 are in the township of Grappenhall, 2¾ miles (S. E.) from Warrington. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £6. 11. 10½. The Rev. J. B. Stewart was patron in 1808. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, was erected in 1539. The Duke of Bridgewater's canal passes through the parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Mersey. There is a cotton manufactory at Latchford. Courts leet and baron are annually held here. A school-house, built at the expense of the parishioners in 1712, is endowed with lands given by Mr. Thomas Johnson." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Grappenhall, also a township in Grappenhall ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 6486), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • The civil parish was renamed Grappenhall & Thelwall in 1974.
  • It included the hamlet of Highfields.
  • The population was 338 in 1801, 708 in 1851, 987 in 1901, and 5655 in 1951.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Runcorn (1837-45)
  • Warrington (1845-96)
  • Runcorn (1896-1974)
topup

Court Records

  • Bucklow (1828-39)
  • Daresbury (1839-1974)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Grappenhall which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"GRAPPENHALL, a parish in the hundred of Bucklow, county palatine Chester, 2 miles S.E. of Warrington, its post town, and 12 N. of Northwich. It is situated to the S. of the river Mersey, and includes the townships of Grappenhall and Latchford. At the latter place there is a railway station on the Manchester and Garston branch of the London and North-Western line. The Bridgwater canal passes through the parish. Cotton spinning and tanning are the chief employments of the people. The living is a rectory* with the perpetual curacy* of Latchford, in the diocese of Chester, value £542 and £111. The church is a stone structure with large square tower. It is dedicated to St. Wilfrid, and has several very fine monuments. At Latchford there is a district church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £111, in the gift of the rector of the parish. The charities, including Ill school endowment, produce about £18 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. J. H. S. Barry, Esq., is lord of the manor. Grappenhall Hall and The Heys are the principal residences."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Grappenhall ancient parish with separate pages

 

  • 1933 April 1 — Lost parts to Warrington, Lancashire (94 acres, pop. 213 in 1931) and Woolston, Lancashire (69 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), was altered to follow the centre of the Manchester Ship Canal.
  • 1936 April 1 — Gained part of Thelwall (1108 acres, pop. 506 in 1931), and lost part to Lymm (3 acres, pop. 0 in 1931)
  • 1953 April 1 — Gained part of Stockton Heath (19 acres, pop. 5 in 1951)
  • 1974 April 1 — Renamed Grappenhall & Thelwall

You can see the administrative areas in which Grappenhall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ632866 (Lat/Lon: 53.37476, -2.554171), Grappenhall which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Warrington Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Warrington Rural District (1894-96)
  • Runcorn Rural District (1896-1974)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Runcorn (1837-45)
  • Warrington (1845-96)
  • Runcorn (1896-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Knutsford (1885-1948)
  • Runcorn (1949-74)