Hide

Great Budworth

hide
Hide

"BUDWORTH (GREAT), a parish, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the chapelry of Hartford, and the townships of Castle-Northwich and Winnington, in the second division of the hundred of EDDISBURY; the chapelries of Northwich, Nether Peover, and Witton with Twambrook, and the townships of Allostock, Birches, Hulse, Lack-Dennis, Lostock-Gralam, and a small portion of that of Rudheath, in the hundred of NORTHWICH; and the chapelries of Aston by Budworth, Little Leigh, and Stretton, and the townships of Anderton, Antrobus, Barnton, Bartington, Great Budworth, Cogshall, Comberbach, Crowley, Dutton, Hull with Appleton, Marbury, Marston, Little Peover, Pickmere, Plumley, Seven-Oaks, Tabley Inferior, Lower Whitley, Over Whitley, and Wincham, in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, and containing 14,344 inhabitants, of which number, 501 are in the township of Great Budworth, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Northwich. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the King's books at £6. 10., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary and All Saints, consists of a nave, chancel, side aisles, and two transepts, with a fine tower; it sustained considerable damage from the parliamentarian troops in 1647, who destroyed the pipes of the organ, and perpetrated other outrages. The village is pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity, near two sheets of water, called Budworth-mere and Pic-mere. The inhabitants are employed to a considerable extent in the manufacture of salt, which prevails throughout the entire neighbourhood. The river Weaver and the Duke of Bridgewater's canal pass through the parish. In the north-eastern angle of the churchyard is a school-room, supposed to have been built by John Dean, rector of St. Bartholomew's the Great, London, about the year 1600, and endowed with the interest of £200 given by Mr. Pickering of Thelwall, and Mrs. Glover." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Great Budworth, also a township in Great Budworth ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 6577), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Belmont, Brownslow and Budworth Heath.
  • The population was 463 in 1801, 643 in 1851, 476 in 1901, 412 in 1951, and 373 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Runcorn (1837-1974)
  • Vale Royal (1974-98)
  • Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Bucklow (1828-39)
  • Daresbury (1839-71)
  • Leftwich (1871-99)
  • Northwich (1899-1974)
  • Vale Royal (1974-2012)
  • West Cheshire (2012+)
topup

Description & Travel

Great Budworth - "The most picturesque village in Cheshire."

You can see pictures of Great Budworth which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"GREAT BUDWORTH, a parish, township, and village, chiefly in the hundred of Bucklow, but partly also in the hundreds of Eddisbury and Northwich, in the county palatine of Chester, 3 miles N. of Northwich, and 18 miles to the N.E. of Chester. Northwich is its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Weaver, and contains the chapelries of Antrobus, Barnton, Hartford, Little Leigh, Lostock-Gralam, Lower Peover, Northwich or Watermen's Church, Stretton, Tabley Chapel, Lower Whitley, Wilderspool or Stockton Heath, and Witton-cum-Twambrooks, besides numerous townships The Bridgwater canal crosses the parish, and near the village are two small lakes, called Budworth Mere and Pickmere. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the salt-works of the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage" in the diocese of Chester, of the annual value of £626, in the patronage of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is in the Gothic style of architecture. It is an ancient building, with a fine embattled tower, and contains monuments of the Pooles, Warburtons, and Leycesters, and a peal of eight of the finest bells in Cheshire. In addition to the parish church, there are twelve district churches, situated in the chapelries above enumerated. The livings of all but Tabley Chapel are perpetual curacies, varying in value between £168 and £80. These churches will be noticed under the several chapelries in which they are situated. The charitable endowments of the parish, including the revenue of the free grammar school at Witton, amount to about £440 per annum, of which £25 belongs to the township of Great Budworth. The principal seats are Belmont House and Arley Hall, in the township of Great Budworth; and Marbury Hall, the seat of the Barrys. In the parish are several very old-fashioned houses, built of wood and plaster. R.E.E. Warburton, Esq., is lord of the manor of Great Budworth.

You can see the administrative areas in which Great Budworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ671783 (Lat/Lon: 53.300628, -2.495442), Great Budworth which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Runcorn Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Runcorn Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Vale Royal (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Runcorn
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Northwich (1885-1948)
  • Runcorn (1949-74)