Hide

Great Warford

hide
Hide

"WARFORD (GREAT), a township in the parish of ALDERLEY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Nether Knutsford, containing 336 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Baptists." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Great Warford was a township in Alderley ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 8177), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Dean Green, Gatley Green, Monks Heath and Soss Moss.
  • The population was 287 in 1801, 348 in 1851, 394 in 1901, 1035 in 1951, and 615 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Churches

  • Alderley: St. Mary (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Great Warford.
  • Great Warford, Baptist Chapel. Registers start in 1757.
  • Great Warford, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1843, closed in 1963. Registers of baptisms 1859-1961 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Macclesfield (1837-1998)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Prestbury (1828-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974+)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1936 April 1 — Lost part to Mobberley (102 acres, pop. 18 in 1931)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Macclesfield
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • East Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Knutsford (1885-1948)
  • Macclesfield (1949-74)