Hale (near Altrincham)
"HALE, a township in the parish of BOWDON, hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 2½ miles (S. E.) from Altrincham, containing 958 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Hale was a township in Bowdon ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 7886), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of Greater Manchester.
- It includes the hamlets of Ashley Heath, Castle Hill, Etrop Green, Hale Barns, Oakfield, Warburton Green, and Well Green.
- The population was 783 in 1801, 1164 in 1851, 4562 in 1901, 12152 in 1951, and 15316 in 2001.
|All Saints, Hale, Church of England|
|St David, Hale, Church of England|
|St Paul, Hale, Church of England|
|St Peter, Hale, Church of England|
|Trinity Chapel, Hale, Congregationalist|
|Hale Road, Hale, Cemetery|
|Hale Road/Oak Road (formerly Henry Street), Hale, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Peel Street (later Peel Road), Hale, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Chapel Lane, Warburton Green, Hale, Unitarian|
|Willow Tree Road, Hale, Welsh Calvinistic|
|Holy Angels, Hale, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hale (near Altrincham) to another place.
- 1900 April 1 — Lost part to Ringway (pop. 491 in 1901)
- 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Altrincham (2 acres, pop. 68 in 1931), Ashley (16 acres, pop. 0 in 1931) , Bowdon (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931), Ringway (971 acres, pop. 339 in 1931) and Timperley (21 acres, pop. 8 in 1931), and lost part to Altrincham (34 acres, pop. 71 in 1931)
You can see the administrative areas in which Hale (near Altrincham) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ772865 (Lat/Lon: 53.37486, -2.344169), Hale (near Altrincham) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
- Bucklow Rural District (1895-1900)
- Hale Urban District (1900-74)
- Trafford Metropolitan Borough [Greater Manchester] (1974+)