"HANDLEY, a parish comprising the township of Handley, in the higher division, and the township of Golborn-David, in the lower division, of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, and containing 332 inhabitants, of which number, 256 are in the township of Handley, 7¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Chester. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £6. 0. 5., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church is dedicated to All Saints." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Handley, also a township in Handley ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4658), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Mill Hill and Milton Green.
- The population was 203 in 1801, 307 in 1851, 259 in 1901, 277 in 1951, and 149 in 2001.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Broxton (1828-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Handley to another place.
"HANDLEY, a parish in the hundred of Broxton, county Chester, 5 miles S.W. of Tarporley, 7½ S. of Chester, and 3½ from the Waverton station on the Chester and Crewe branch of the London and North-Western railway. It is a small village, situated on the main road from Chester to Whitchurch. The parish contains the township, of Golbourne David. Stone is quarried for building purposes. The soil and subsoil are chiefly a strong clay. There is a flour-mill in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £253, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1854. It is a stone edifice, with its original ancient tower, containing four bells. In the interior is a brass to one of the Venables, dating 1572, and a painted memorial window. The parochial charities produce £4, per annum. There is a mixed school, endowed with £6 per annum, and further supported by the trustees of the late Samuel Sandbach, Esq. There is also a Sunday-school. The ancient mansion of Calveley Hall has been greatly altered, and is now occupied by a farmer. The trustees of the late Samuel Sandbach, Esq., are lords of the manor."
"GOLBOURN-DAVID, a township in the parish of Handley, lower division of the hundred of Broxton, county palatine of Chester, 1½ mile N. of the village of Handley, and 6 S.E. of Chester. The Waverton station on the Crewe and Chester section of the London and North-Western railway is 2 miles distant."
You can see the administrative areas in which Handley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ462587 (Lat/Lon: 53.122745, -2.806063), Handley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Tarvin Rural District (1894-1974)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)