"HARTFORD, a chapelry in that part of the parish of GREAT BUDWORTH which is in the second division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 1¼ mile (S. W. by W.) from Northwich, containing 772 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of three Trustees on the part of the founders. The chapel is dedicated to St. John. Here is an endowed school, also a Sunday school supported by the profits of a bazaar, which in 1828 amounted to more than £100." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Hartford was a township in the ancient parishes of Great Budworth and Weaverham, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 6371), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlet of Hartfordbeach.
- The population was 472 in 1801, 950 in 1851, 850 in 1901, 2919 in 1951, and 5515 in 2001.
- Great Budworth: St. Mary & All Saints (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the greater part (970 acres, pop. 1123 in 1871) of the township of Hartford.
- Weaverham: St. Mary (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the smaller part (100 acres, pop. 17 in 1871) of Hartford.
- Witton: St. Helen (Church of England). An ancient chapel to Great Budworth: St. Mary & All Saints.
- Hartford: St. John the Baptist (Church of England). Founded in 1825 as a chapel to Witton: St. Helen, becoming the district church for most of Hartford from 1863.
- Hartford, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Beach Road. Built in 1833, the present building dates from 1891.
- Northwich (1837-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Eddisbury (1828-71)
- Leftwich (1871-99)
- Northwich (1899-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-2012)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from HARTFORD to another place.
- 1894 September 29 — Lost the part in Northwich Urban Sanitary District to Northwich (pop. 1699 in 1901)
- 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Eaton (near Davenham) (5 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), Leftwich (8 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), Weaverham (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931) and Winnington (2 acres, pop. 4 in 1931), and lost part to Davenham (2 acres, pop. 0 in 1931)
- 1955 April 1 — Lost part to Northwich (54 acres, pop. 955 in 1951)
- 1988 April 1 — Gained part of Weaverham, and lost part to Whitegate & Marton.
- 2015 April 1 — Gained part of Weaverham.
You can see the administrative areas in which HARTFORD has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ637722 (Lat/Lon: 53.24557, -2.545436), HARTFORD which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Northwich Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94)
- Northwich Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) *
- Northwich Rural District (1894-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
* The part in Northwich Urban Sanitary District (1875-94) was added to the civil parish of Northwich in 1894.