An ancient parochial chapelry in the parish of Great Budworth: St. Mary & All Saints, originally serving the townships of Birches, Castle Northwich, Hulse, Lach Dennis, Lostock Gralam, Northwich, Winnington and Witton cum Twambrooks, and parts of the townships of Hartford and Rudheath. In 1900 it became a district church, serving the township of Castle Northwich, and parts of the townships of Northwich, Witton cum Twambrooks, Winnington and Rudheath. The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Saint Helen, Witton" were described in the London Gazette on 10 August 1900:
"All that part of the parish of Great Budworth, in the county of Chester and in the diocese of Chester, which is comprised within and is co-extensive with the limits of the chapelry of Witton; or in other words, the limits of the township of Castle Northwich and of such portions of the townships of Witton-cum-Twambrooks, Northwich, Winnington and Rudheath, as are not included within the new parish of Saint John Hartford, the new parish of Dane Bridge, the new parish of Biley and the parish of Davenham, all in the county and diocese aforesaid."
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1844 — reduced when the townships of Birches, Hulse, Lach Dennis and Lostock Gralam, were transferred to Lostock Gralam: St. John the Evangelist
- 1846 March 10 — reduced when part of Northwich township was transferred to Dane Bridge: St. Paul.
- 1863 September 15 — reduced when the constituent part of the township of Hartford, and part of the township of Winnington, were transferred to Hartford: St. John the Baptist.
- 1929 March 26 — reduced when part of the township of Castle Northwich was transferred to Northwich: Holy Trinity.
- 1930 December 2 — extended to include part of the abolished district of Dane Bridge: St. Paul lying to the north of "an imaginary line commencing at the point where the western boundary of the said Benefice of Dane Bridge crosses the middle of Hayhurst Street and extending thence first eastward and then north eastward along the middle of Hayhurst Street to its junction with London Road and extending thence north eastward in precisely the same direction and in a straight line to the eastern boundary of the said benefice of Dane Bridge"
- 1930 December 2 — extended to include the former township of Shurlach (containing Witton Lodge, Richard Street, Shipbrook Road, Shurlach Fields, Shurlach Farm, Bridge Farm, Bleakhouse Farm, Ash Bank, Lower Shurlach, Bridgefarm Cottages, Old Broken Cross Inn, Broken Cross, Bradford Farm, Higher Shurlach, Tanyard Farm, School Road, School, Canal Side Farm, and High House, and including the chapel of Rudheath: St. Thomas) from Davenham: St. Wilfrid.
- 1930 December 2 — reduced when an area including Wincham Brook Pumping Station, part of Renshaw Street, Hewitt Street, Austin Street, Brick Works, and the eastern side of Ann Street, as well as the south-eastern extremity of the parish, were transferred to Lostock Gralam: St. John the Evangelist.
- 1930 December 2 — extended when an area including Lostock Salt Works was transferred from Lostock Gralam: St. John the Evangelist.
- 1931 December 26 — reduced when parts of the townships of Winnington, Northwich and Castle Northwich were transferred to Northwich: St. Luke.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
|Original Registers||C 1561-1958 ; M 1561-1961 ; B 1561-1973 — Cheshire Record Office (P 53)|
C from 1958 ; M from 1961 ; B from 1973 — Church
|Microfilm Copies||C 1561-1958 ; M 1561-1961 ; B 1561-1973 — Cheshire Record Office|
C 1561-1903 ; M 1561-1895 ; B 1561-1912 — Family History Society of Cheshire ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies, Northwich Library
|Bishop's Transcripts||1597, 1600, 1603, 1616-19, 1621-25, 1628-30, 1632-37, 1640-41, 1658-66, 1668-76, 1679-85, 1690-1717, 1719-39, 1741-1861, 1886-92 (microfilmed) ; 1893, 1897 — Cheshire Record Office|
|Copies and Indexes||C 1813-1851 — published by the Family History Society of Cheshire (Northwich Group), 1987|
CB 1813-1862 (auxiliary registers, containing additional genealogical information) — Cheshire Record Office, Northwich Library (microfilmed)
M 1700-1837 — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1754-1792 — published by the Family History Society of Cheshire (Northwich Group, 2 vols.), 1986
M 1754-1837 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry or findmypast
M 1837-1974 — Cheshire BMD (CW:158)
|Monumental Inscriptions||Transcript by Northwich Civic Society, 1973 (2 vols, no index) — Cheshire Record Office ; Northwich Library|