Hide

Haughton

hide
Hide

"HAUGHTON, a township in that part of the parish of BUNBURY which is in the first division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from Nantwich, containing 175 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Haughton was a township in Bunbury ancient parish, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 5856), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • The population was 151 in 1801, 155 in 1851, 163 in 1901, 188 in 1951, and 223 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Nantwich (1837-1937)
  • Crewe (1937-74)
  • Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
  • South Cheshire (1988-98)
  • Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Eddisbury (1828-1974)
  • Crewe & Nantwich (1974-92)
  • South Cheshire (1992+)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1888 March 24 — Lost a detached part to Spurstow (12 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Nantwich Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Nantwich
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Crewe (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)