"BEBBINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Higher Bebbington, Lower Bebbington, Poulton with Spittle, Storeton, and Tranmore, and containing 1678 inhabitants, of which number, 216 are in the township of Higher Bebbington, 6½ miles (N. N. E.), and 316 in that of Lower Bebbington, 5¾ (N. E. by N.), from Great Neston. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £30. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Rev. S. Feilden and another. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is partly Norman, and partly in the early, decorated, and later styles of English architecture, with a tower surmounted by a spire: the nave is separated from the south aisle by a range of Norman arches, resting on massive cylindrical columns, and the chancel, with its lateral aisles, is of the later English style. Attached to the eastern end of the church is a room, used for a school, which was founded in 1655, and endowed by the parishioners with twenty acres of land, the rent of which, amounting to £25 per annum, is applied to the instruction of the poor children of Lower Bebbington. Strata of excellent freestone exist in this parish, which is of a much whiter quality than that found in any other part of the county. The navigable river Mersey runs along the northern border of the parish." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Higher Bebington, also a township in Bebington ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 3184), became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1922 to become part of Bebington & Bromborough
- It included the hamlets of Rock Ferry (until 1894), and Dacre Hill.
- The population was 143 in 1801, 1478 in 1851, and 1540 in 1901.
For the period after 1922, see Bebington & Bromborough.
|Christ Church, Bebington, United Reformed Church|
|Town Lane, Bebington, Cemetery|
|Christ Church, Higher Bebington, Church of England|
|St Andrew, Bebington, Church of England|
|Townfield Church, St Andrews School, Townfield Lan, Bebington, Church of England|
|Town Lane, Bebington, Cemetery|
|Bromborough Road, Lower Bebington, Bebington, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Old Chester Road/Stonehill Avenue, Bebington, Methodist|
|School Lane, Higher Bebington, Methodist|
|Village Road, Higher Bebington, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|St Luke the Physician, Bebington, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Higher Bebington to another place.
Places associated with Bebbington ancient parish with separate pages
- Bebington, Higher; Bebington, Lower; Bebington & Bromborough; Poulton cum Spital; Rock Ferry ??; Storeton; Tranmere
- 1894 — Lost the part in Birkenhead County Borough, including the hamlets of Rock Ferry and part of Woodhey, to Rock Ferry (pop. 2971 in 1901)
- 1922 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Bebington & Bromborough (698 acres, pop. 1765 in 1921)
You can see the administrative areas in which Higher Bebington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ318850 (Lat/Lon: 53.357461, -3.026168), Higher Bebington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Higher Bebington Local Board District (1859-75)
- Higher Bebington Urban Sanitary District (wholly, 1875-77; partly, 1877-94)
- Birkenhead Municipal Borough (partly, 1877-89) *
- Birkenhead Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1877-94) *
- Birkenhead County Borough (partly, 1889-94) *
- Higher Bebington Urban District (1894-1922)
* The part in Birkenhead Urban Sanitary District (1877-94), Birkenhead Municipal Borough (1877-89) and Birkenhead County Borough (1889-94) became the civil parish of Rock Ferry in 1894.