"HURDSFIELD, a township in the parish of PRESTBURY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 1¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Macclesfield, containing 1082 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Hurdsfield was a township in Prestbury ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 9374), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was renamed Higher Hurdsfield in 1975.
- It includes the hamlets of Cliff Hill, Commonside, Higherfence (part), Higher Hurdsfield and Swanscoe.
- The population was 582 in 1801, 4016 in 1851, 458 in 1901, and 418 in 1951.
For the period after 1975, see Higher Hurdsfield.
- Prestbury: St. Peter (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Hurdsfield.
- Macclesfield: St. Michael & All Angels (Church of England). The district church for Hurdsfield from 1835.
- Hurdsfield: Holy Trinity (Church of England). The district district church for Hurdsfield from 1839.
- Hurdsfield, Methodist (Fence School) Chapel, Waterloo Street (New Connexion). Built in 1841. Registers of baptisms 1878-1965 and marriages 1960-65 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Hurdsfield, Methodist (Ebenezer) Chapel (Wesleyan), Rainow Road. Built in 1865.
- Prestbury (wholly, 1828-35 and 1894-1974 ; parly 1835-94) *
- Macclesfield (Borough) (1835-94) *
- Macclesfield (1974-75)
* The part in Macclesfield (Borough) (1835-94) was added to Macclesfield civil parish in 1894.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from HURDSFIELD to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which HURDSFIELD has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ924739 (Lat/Lon: 53.262044, -2.115393), HURDSFIELD which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Macclesfield Municipal Borough (partly, 1835-94) *
- Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94)
- Macclesfield Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) *
- Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-75)
* The part in Macclesfield Municipal Borough (1835-94) and Macclesfield Urban Sanitary District (1875-94) was added to Macclesfield civil parish in 1894.