An ancient chapelry in the parish of Prestbury: St. Peter. In 1835 it became the district church for the townships of Hurdsfield, Macclesfield, Macclesfield Forest, and Wildboarclough. The boundaries of "The Parochial District of the Parochial Chapelry of Macclesfield" were described in the London Gazette on 2 October 1835:
"The boundary to commence on the High North-road to Manchester, at the meer stone near the Beach-bridge, thence westward along the boundary of the borough to the meer stone at Westbrook; then continuing westward by Moss-meadow, along the boundary between Fallibroom and Macclesfield to the meer stone at Whirley end; then southward by the boundary between Birtles and Macclesfield by Long Moss, till it meets the township of Henbury, following the boundary to that of Gawsworth, and along the southward to Moss-pool; then along the boundary between Macclestield and Sutton (as is described in the perambulation of 1822 in the records of the Corporation) to where it mee ts the High London- road, continuing eastward along the boundary between Macclesfield and Sutton, as therein described, to where this meets the boundary of Macclesfield-forest at Teg's Nose; then southward following the boundary between this and Sutton to Tenter-bank, and along the boundary between Wildboar Clough and Sutton to Greenway-bridge, and along the boundary between Wincle and Sutton to where it meets that of Bosley; continuing southward to the River Dane by Cartridge-wood; then following the course of the Dane eastward by
Quarnford-bridge, where it forms the boundary between Cheshire and Staffordshire; and then northward as the boundary between Cheshire and Derbyshire by Tinker's Pit; then following the River Goyt to where this meets the township of Kettleshulme; then westward along the boundary between this and Macclesfield-forest by High Bodmoor and Lamilod, and between Rainow and Macclesfield borough; then northward, to include the township of Hurdsfield, to Swanscoe, along the boundary between Titherington and Hurdsfield, then westward to Beach-bridge where the boundary commenced".
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1840 — reduced when the township of Hurdsfield was transferred to Hurdsfield: Holy Trinity.
- 1844 July 10 — reduced when part of the township of Macclesfield was transferred to Macclesfield: St. Paul.
- 1844 November 5 — reduced when part of the township of Macclesfield was transferred to Macclesfield: St. Peter.
- 1845 — reduced when part of the township of Macclesfield was transferred to Henbury: St. Thomas.
- 1888 May 8 — reduced when part of the township of Macclesfield was transferred to Macclesfield: St. John the Evangelist.
- 1888 November 23 — reduced when part of the township of Macclesfield was transferred to Macclesfield: Christ Church.
- 1906 March 6 — reduced when the townships of Macclesfield Forest and Wildboarclough were transferred to Forest Chapel: St. Stephen.
- 1962 January 25 — (details not available)
- 1968 November 22 — (details not available)
The district include Macclesfield: Crompton Road School Chapel, and from 1983 the chapel of Macclesfield: All Saints.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
||C 1572-1937 ; M 1572-1754, 1835-1985 ; B 1572-1873 — Cheshire Record Office (P 85)
C from 1937 ; M from 1985 — Church
||C 1572-1937 ; M 1572-1754, 1835-1940 ; B 1572-1873 — Cheshire Record Office ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Macclesfield Library
C 1572-1873 ; M 1572-1754, 1835-1940 ; B 1572-1873 — Family History Society of Cheshire
||1586, 1590, 1600, 1605, 1608, 1611, 1615, 1617-20, 1622-23, 1625-26,1628-38, 1640-41, 1663-97, 1700-06, 1708-1845, 1884-85, 1889-92 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire
|Copies and Indexes
||CMB 1572-1667 (transcript) — Society of Genealogists' Library ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies, Macclesfield Library
M 1572-1665 (transcript) — Cheshire Record Office, Macclesfield Library
M 1572-1801 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836) (incomplete)
M 1574-1754, 1835-1837 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry or findmypast
M 1699-1754 — published by North Cheshire Family History Society (edited by P. Litton)
M 1837-1995 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1056)
||Transcript by M. J. G. Bond, 1972 — Church
Published by North Cheshire Family History Society (edited by J. E. Appleby), 1978
Transcript by D. H. Way, 1987 (supplement to 1972 survey) — Macclesfield Library
||B 1855-1873 — irregular