Hide

Hyde

hide
Hide

"HYDE, a chapelry in the parish of STOCKPORT, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Stockport, containing 3355 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, and in the patronage of the Rector of Stockport. A chapel is in progress of erection, towards defraying the expense of which, the commissioners for building churches have granted £4500; the site was given by George Clarke, Esq. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Unitarians. Several large Sunday schools are attached to these places of worship, supported by voluntary contributions, and another on an extensive scale is now being erected by subscription, as an appendage to the Independent chapel. So early as the reign of John, this township was in part owned by a family bearing the name of Hyde, a descendant of which was the great Lord Chancellor Hyde, Earl of Clarendon. It remained until within a few years since a mere agricultural district; thinly inhabited, but has since, by the establishment of the cotton manufacture, become a rapidly increasing township, which has also been greatly facilitated by a new communication with Manchester, effected by means of an act of parliament obtained in 1818. In this village and neighbourhood are some of the largest spinning and power-loom establishments in the kingdom, giving employment to nearly five thousand persons; an additional conveyance has also been made to Manchester by water, by the Peak Forest canal, which passes through this place, and unites with the Ashton canal: there are extensive coal mines in the vicinity. One of the county magistrates sits twice a week for the transaction of business: constables and other officers are appointed at the court leet of the King's Forest and manor of Macclesfield. The court baron of Hyde and Haughton is held at Hyde Hall. A literary and scientific institution was established in May, 1821, and a mechanics' institute in 1827." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Hyde was a township in Stockport ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 9694), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of Greater Manchester.
  • It includes the hamlets of Backbower, Gee Cross, Haughton and Kingston.
  • The population was 1063 in 1801, 11569 in 1851, 23668 in 1901, 31494 in 1951, and 34602 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • Hyde Cemetery. Opened in 1894 (24 acres)
topup

Civil Registration

  • Stockport (1837-1937)
  • Hyde (1937-74)
  • Tameside (1974+)
topup

Court Records

  • Stockport (County) (1828-48)
  • Hyde (County) (1848-93)
  • Hyde (Borough) (1893-1971)
  • North East Cheshire (1971-74)
  • South Tameside (1974+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Hyde which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

  • 1894 September 30 — Gained part of Werneth (pop. 1773 in 1901)
  • 1923 October 1 — Gained the whole of Godley (645 acres, pop. 1735 in 1921) and Newton (near Hyde) (869 acres, pop. 7715 in 1921)
  • 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Compstall (120 acres, pop. 61 in 1931), Dukinfield (less than 1 acre, pop. 17 in 1931), Hattersley (722 acres, pop. 99 in 1931) and Matley (307 acres, pop. 97 in 1931), and lost parts to Bredbury & Romiley (24 acres, pop. 20 in 1931) and Dukinfield (16 acres, pop. 16 in 1931)

You can see the administrative areas in which Hyde has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ947949 (Lat/Lon: 53.450833, -2.081273), Hyde which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Hyde Urban Sanitary District (1875-81)
  • Hyde Municipal Borough (1881-1974)
  • Tameside Metropolitan Borough [Greater Manchester] (1974+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Stockport
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Hyde (1867-85)
  • Stalybridge & Hyde (1885-1974)