"INCE, a parish in the second division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Frodsham, containing 460 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Edmund Yates, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. James, has some traces in the Norman style of architecture, but the greater part of the building is of later date. Near it is the ancient manor-house of the abbots of St. Werburgh, and a barn, called the monastery barn, the only vestige remaining of a religious house which is thought to have formerly existed here. Edmund Yates, Esq. erected and supports a free school for poor children. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Mersey, where a pier has been constructed, at the distance of half a mile from the village." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Ince, a township in the ancient parishes of Ince and Stoak, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 5362), became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1950 to become part of Ellesmere Port.
- In 1987 a new civil parish, with smaller boundaries, was created from Ellesmere Port.
- The population was 443 in 1801, 422 in 1851, 290 in 1901, and 2009 in 2001.
For the period between 1950 and 1987, see Ellesmere Port.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-50)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1987-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Eddisbury (1828-71)
- Chester Castle (1871-1950)
- Ellesmere Port (1987-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ince to another place.
"INCE, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, county Chester, 6 miles W. of Frodsham, its post town, and 3 N. of Dunham. It is a station on the Helsby and Hooton branch of the Birkenhead, Lancashire, and Cheshire Junction railway. The village, which is small, is situated near the ferry on the river Mersey. There was formerly a seat of the Abbots of St. Werburgh, a part of which is now used as a farmhouse. The land is moory and in parts marsh, protected by an embankment from the tides of the Mersey. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £250. The church, which is situated on a lofty eminence, is dedicated to St. James. It is an ancient structure with a tower containing a clock and three bells. The church was thoroughly repaired in 1854, at an outlay of £3,000, by the late Mrs. Park. In the interior is a painted E. window. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. Ince Hall is a building in the Italian style, situated in a park, and is approached by a carriageway about 1 mile in length."
You can see the administrative areas in which Ince has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ454764 (Lat/Lon: 53.281609, -2.819967), Ince which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Chester Rural District (1894-1933)
- Ellesmere Port Urban District (1933-50)
- Ellesmere Port & Neston (1987-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)