Hide

Knutsford

hide
Hide

"KNUTSFORD, a parish in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the market town of Knutsford, and the townships of Bexton, Over Knutsford, Ollerton, and Toft, and containing 3535 inhabitants, of which number, 2753 are in the town of Nether Knutsford, 2434; miles (N. E. by E.) from Chester, and 172½ (N. W. by N.) from London.   ... The town consists principally of two long streets, and is well paved and supplied with water. ...near the town is a good race-course, the races being held on the last Tuesday in, July. Assemblies take place in the town, in November and December. The manufacture of thread, which formerly nourished here to a considerable extent, has, since the introduction of machinery, given place to the weaving of cotton, in which the principal part of the population is employed, working with hand-looms, for the manufacturers at Manchester and the adjacent towns. The Trent and Mersey canal passes within five miles of the town, affording a communication with Liverpool, ... The market is on Saturday; the fairs, to which a small number of cattle are brought from the neighbouring villages, are, April 23rd, July 10th, and November 8th; a cattle fair is also held at Over Knutsford, on the Tuesday in Whitsun-week. Constables and other officers are appointed at the court leet of the lord of the manor, who also holds a court baron: the hundred court, and the Midsummer and Michaelmas quarter sessions for the county, are held in the town. The sessions-house and house of correction for the county were erected in 1817; ..., comprising spacious court-rooms, with the requisite accommodation for the business of the sessions; the latter, a spacious and commodious building, contains a governor's house, infirmary, and schools, eight day-rooms, seven airing-yards, in some of which are tread-mills, and one hundred and fifty separate cells, for the classification, employment, and instruction of the prisoners. Knutsford, with its several townships, was formerly included in the parish of Rostherne, from which it was severed by act of parliament, in 1714, and formed into a separate parish. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £16 per annum private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the alternate patronage, according to the following order, of the Lords of the Manors of Over Knutsford, Nether Knutsford, Ollerton,Toft, andBexton. The church, erected in 1744, and dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a neat edifice of brick, with a stone tower. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Unitarians. The free grammar school was founded and endowed with sixteen marks per annum, in the reign of Edward VI., by an ancestor of the family of Peter Leigh, Esq., of Over Knutsford, who appoints the master and nominates the scholars, ...A parochial school has lately been established, in which seventy boys are taught reading, writing, and arithmetic; and a school, in which one hundred girls are instructed in reading and needlework, is supported by Mrs. Egerton of Tatton. There are also various charitable bequests for distribution among the poor, the proceeds of which, about £100 per annum, are divided by the vicar, churchwardens and overseers of the parish." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Knutsford, a civil parish [previously an ancient parish] (SJ 7578) created in 1895 by uniting Knutsford Nether and Knutsford Over civil parishes.
  • The population was 5172 in 1901, 6617 in 1951, and 12656 in 2001.

For the period before 1895, see Knutsford Nether and Knutsford Over.

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

topup

Civil Registration

  • Altrincham (1895-98)
  • Bucklow (1898-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974-98)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Bucklow (1895-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Knutsford which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"KNUTSFORD, a parish and market town in the hundred of Bucklow, county Chester, 25 miles N.E. of Chester, and 172 from London. This place, which is of great antiquity, is situated on the banks of a small stream, over which Canute the Dane is said to have passed with his army for the conquest of the northern parts of the kingdom in the reign of Ethelred; hence its name of Canute's or Cnut's ford. It is a station on a section of the Cheshire Midland railway. The town consists principally of two good streets, which are well paved, and lighted with gas. It contains a townhall, sessions-house, market-house, working man's library, bank, savings-bank, house of correction, and poorhouse. The Cheshire quarter sessions at Midsummer and Michaelmas are held in the town. Cotton, thread, worsted, and leather are manufactured. There is also a large iron foundry. The environs are adorned with villas, and near the town is a racecourse. The Trent and Mersey canal passes within 5 miles of the town, which is a polling place, and the place of election for the northern division of the shire. Constables and other officers are appointed at the court-leet of the lord of the manor, who also holds a court-baron. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester, value £225, in the patronage of the lords of certain manors alternately. The parish church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a brick and stone structure, erected in 1744. There are also two district churches at Cross Town and Toft, the livings of both which are perpetual curacies,* value respectively £60 and £30. The Independents, Wesleyans, Unitarians, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There are free grammar, parochial, and infant schools. Norbury Booths Hall is the principal residence. Market day is Saturday. Fairs are held on 23rd April, Whit-Tuesday, and 8th November."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Knutsford ancient parish with separate pages

 

You can see the administrative areas in which Knutsford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ766775 (Lat/Lon: 53.293713, -2.352962), Knutsford which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Knutsford Urban District (1895-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bucklow (1895-1930).
topup

Voting Registers

  • Knutsford (1895-1974)