Hide

Lea by Backford

hide
Hide

"LEA, a township in that part of the parish of BACKFORD which is in the higher division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (N.N.W.) from Chester, containing 87 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Lea by Backford was a township in Backford ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 3971), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlet of Dunkirk (part).
  • The population was 70 in 1801, 91 in 1851, 73 in 1901, 233 in 1951, and 191 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Great Boughton (1837-69)
  • Chester (1870-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1989+)
topup

Court Records

  • Wirral (1828-71)
  • Chester Castle (1871-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012+)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Chester Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-71)
  • Chester (1871-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1915)
  • Chester (1918-74)