"LEFTWICH, a township in the parish of DAVENHAM, hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 1 mile (S.) from Northwich, containing 1192 inhabitants. A charity school here is supported by annual donations, averaging about £13." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Leftwich was a township in Davenham ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 6672), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become part of Davenham, Hartford and Northwich.
- The population was 899 in 1801, 2528 in 1851, and 3448 in 1901.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Leftwich to another place.
- 1883 March 25 — Lost a detached part to Witton cum Twambrooks (pop. 419 in 1891, including the York Buildings)
- 1894 September 29 — Lost the part in Northwich Urban Sanitary District to Northwich (pop. 2699 in 1901)
- 1936 April 1 — Abolished and divided between Davenham (712 acres, pop. 1021 in 1931), Hartford (8 acres, pop. 0 in 1931) and Northwich (1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931)
You can see the administrative areas in which Leftwich has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ660721 (Lat/Lon: 53.244824, -2.51096), Leftwich which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Northwich Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94)
- Northwich Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) *
- Northwich Rural District (1894-1936)
* The part in Northwich Urban Sanitary District (1875-94) was added to the civil parish of Northwich in 1894.