Leighton (near Neston)
"LEIGHTON, a township in the parish of NESTON, higher division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, 1 mile (N.B.) from Parkgate, containing 404 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"PARKGATE, a hamlet in the township of LEIGHTON, parish of NESTON, higher division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, 12 miles (N. W.) from Chester, and 192 (N. W.) from London. The importance of this place is derived from its being the resort of visitors during the bathing-season; it consists principally of one long and irregular range of houses built of brick, which front the aestuary of the Dee, over which is a commodious ferry to Flint: here is a custom-house for vessels loading from the contiguous collieries; formerly this place was a sea-port of considerable importance, and packets and other vessels were employed, especially in the trade with Ireland; but at present it is neglected as a packet station, vessels of burden being prevented from approaching the quay, owing to the formation of a large sand-bank, which greatly impedes the navigation of the channel." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Leighton (near Neston) (pronounced Lay-tun) was a township in Neston ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 2879), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1894 to become part of Neston cum Parkgate.
- It included part of the hamlet of Parkgate
- The population was 266 in 1801, 319 in 1851, and 728 in 1901.
For the period after 1894, see Neston cum Parkgate.
See Neston cum Parkgate.
- 1894 September 30 — Abolished and incorporated into Neston cum Parkgate (pop. 728 in 1901)