"BUDWORTH (LITTLE), a parish in the first division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 3¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Tarporley, containing 524 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £10 per annum private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester, who is the impropriator, on the nomination of the lessee of the great tithes. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, belonged, previously to the dissolution, to St. Mary's nunnery in Chester, and was called a free chapel within the parish of Over, the church of which was also appropriated to the same convent: the nave and the chancel were rebuilt with stone, in 1798, pursuant to the will of Mr. Ralph Kirkham, a wealthy merchant in Manchester, and a native of this parish, who gave £1000 for that purpose; his remains were interred here. Horseraces were formerly held on a four-mile course, but they have long been discontinued. A school-house was erected in 1706, near the park wall at Oulton, in which about twenty children are instructed. Lady Isabella Dod, by will dated in 1720, bequeathed £2500 for the erection and endowment of ahnshouses for the support of twelve poor persons of Little Budworth, and eight of a town an Buckinghamshire." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Little Budworth, a township and ancient parish in Eddisbury hundred (SJ 5965), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Commonside and Oulton Park.
- The population was 434 in 1801, 578 in 1851, 600 in 1901, 508 in 1951, and 649 in 2001.
- Northwich (1837-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Budworth to another place.
"LITTLE BUDWORTH, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Eddisbury, in the county palatine of Chester, 4 miles to the N.E. of Tarporley, its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £85, in the gift of the bishop. The church, which anciently belonged to St. Mary's Nunnery, Chester, is dedicated to St. Peter. It was partly rebuilt in 1798, the expense of the work being provided for by a bequest of Ralph Kirkham. Almshouses for 20 persons were founded and endowed hero by Lady Isabella Dodd, in 1720, the revenue of which is £130 per annum. There are other charitable endowments for the poor, producing about £60 a year.
- 1892 March 25 — Gained part of Low Oulton (pop. 56 in 1901).
- 1936 April 1 — Lost parts to Delamere (22 acres, pop. 18 in 1931), Oakmere (14 acres, pop. 20 in 1931) and Rushton (28 acres, pop. 0 in 1931).
- 1988 April 1 — Gained parts of Delamere and Oakmere.
- 2015 April 1 — Lost part to Utkinton & Cotebrook.
You can see the administrative areas in which Little Budworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ598660 (Lat/Lon: 53.189627, -2.603459), Little Budworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Northwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Northwich Rural District (1894-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)