Hide

Little Saughall

hide
Hide

"SAUGHALL (LITTLE), a township in the parish of SHOTWICK, higher division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, 3¼ miles (N.W. byW.) from Chester, containing 38 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Little Saughall was a township in Shotwick ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 3769), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • The civil parish was abolished in 1948 to become part of Saughall.
  • The population was 48 in 1801, 69 in 1851, and 137 in 1901.

For the period after 1948, see Saughall.

Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Great Boughton (1837-69)
  • Chester (1870-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-48)
topup

Court Records

  • Wirral (1828-71)
  • Chester Castle (1871-1948)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1883 March 25 — Gained detached parts Nos. 2 to 4 of Great Saughall (110 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
  • 1888 March 24 — Gained detached part No. 5 of Great Saughall (4 acres, pop. 5 in 1891, including Oakenholme), and lost five detached parts to Great Saughall (200 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
  • 1936 April 1 — Lost part to Chester (8 acres, pop. 0 in 1931)
  • 1948 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Saughall
topup

Politics & Government

  • Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Chester Rural District (1894-1948)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-53)
  • Hawarden (1853-71)
  • Chester (1871-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1915)
  • Chester (1918-48)