Hide

Malpas

hide
Hide

"MALPAS, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Agden, Bickerton, Bickley, Bradley, Broxton, Buckley, or Bulkeley, Chidlow, Cholmondeley, Chorlton, Cuddington, Duckington, Edge, Egerton, Hampton, Larkton, Macefen, Malpas, Newton juxta Malpas, Oldcastle, Overton, Stockton, Tushingham with Grindley, Wichalgh, and Wigland, and containing 3917 inhabitants, of which number, 1127 are in the township of Malpas, 15 miles (S. S. E.) from Chester, and 165 (N. W.) from London. ... More"  [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

"CHADD (ST.), a chapelry in [in the parish of Malpas] in the higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER,  2¾ miles (E. by S.) from Malpas. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the first portion of the rectory of Malpas, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 private benefaction, and £2900 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of the first portion of Malpas. " [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Malpas, also a township in Malpas ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4846),  became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Bawbrook, Cross o'th'Hill, Ebnal, Kidnal (from 2015), Lower Wych (from 2015), Newton (from 2015), Oldcastle (from 2015), Oldcastle Heath (from 2015) Overton (from 2015), Oathills, Stockton (from 2015), The Moss, and Wychough (from 2015).
  • The population was 906 in 1801, 1054 in 1851, 1139 in 1901, 1219 in 195, and 1628 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • Malpas Cemetery. Opened 1873 (2.5 acres).
topup

Churches

  • Malpas: St. Oswald (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Malpas.
  • Malpas: St. Joseph (Roman Catholic). Opened in 1946.
  • Malpas, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Wrexham Road/Cuddington Road. Built in 1894.
  • Malpas, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Old Hall Street. Built in 1860, closed in 1968. Registers 1935-1968 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
  • Malpas, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), High Street. Built in 1815. Registers 1819-1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Wrexham (1837-53)
  • Whitchurch (1853-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012+)
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Malpas which are provided by:

topup

Directories

Transcription for Malpas from Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831)

topup

Gazetteers

You can see the administrative areas in which Malpas has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ501487 (Lat/Lon: 53.033119, -2.745252), Malpas which are provided by:

topup

Politics and Government

  • Whitchurch Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Malpas Rural District (1894-1936)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1894-74)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.

  • Wrexham (1837-53)
  • Whitchurch (1853-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)