St Oswald, Malpas, Church of England
It was founded in 1561.
An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Agden, Bickerton, Bickley, Bradley, Broxton, Bulkeley, Chidlow, Cholmondeley, Chorlton, Cuddington, Duckington, Edge, Egerton, Hampton, Iscoyd (Flintshire), Larkton, Macefen, Malpas, Newton by Malpas, Oldcastle, Overton, Stockton, Tushingham with Grindley, Wigland and Wychough. It included the chapels of Cholmondeley: St. Nicholas and Threapwood: St. John.
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1843 — reduced when the townships of Bickley, Broxton, Bulkeley, Duckington, Egerton and Larkton were transferred to Bickerton: Holy Trinity.
- 1860 August 3 — reduced when the townships of Agden, Bradley, Chidlow, Macefen and Tushingham with Grindley, and parts of the townships of Bickley, Hampton and Malpas, were transferred to Tushingham: St. Chad.
- 1885 May 22 — reduced when the Flintshire township of Iscoyd was transferred to Whitewell: St. Mary.
- 1893 February 3 — reduced when the township of Cholmondeley and the remaining part of the township of Bickley were transferred to Bickley: St. Winefrede.
- 1968 August 26 — enlarged to include the former extra-parochial area of Threapwood (including the chapel of Threapwood: St. John).
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
|Original Registers||C 1561-1948 ; M 1561-2007 ; B 1561-1905 — Cheshire Archives (P 21)
C from 1949 ; M from 2007 — Church
|Microfilm Copies||C 1561-1948 ; M 1561-1951 ; B 1561-1905 — Cheshire Archives
C 1561-1948 ; M 1561-1927 ; B 1561-1905 — Family History Society of Cheshire ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies
|Bishop's Transcripts||1584, 1599-1603, 1609-11, 1613-15, 1617-18, 1622-28, 1630, 1633, 1635, 1637-40, 1662, 1664, 1666-77, 1679-85, 1687-91, 1693-98, 1700-1849,1851-93 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Archives|
|Copies and Indexes||CMB 1561-1812 (transcript by J. Wolley Dod, 3 vols.) — Cheshire Archives
M 1570-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-1958 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE36)
|Notes||CMB 1609-1614 — omitted from registers|
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)