Marbury (near Northwich)
"MARBURY, a township in that part of the parish of GREAT-BUDWORTH which is in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Northwich, containing 35 inhabitants. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the township." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Marbury was a township in Great Budworth ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 6576), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- In 1988 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Anderton with Marbury.
- The population was 20 in 1801, 23 in 1851, 61 in 1901, and 720 in 1951.
For the period after 1988, see Anderton with Marbury.
- Bucklow (1828-39)
- Daresbury (1839-71)
- Leftwich (1871-99)
- Northwich (1899-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-88)
"MARBURY, a parish in the hundred of Nantwich, county Chester, 3 miles N.E. of Whitchurch, its post town, and 10 S. of the Beeston railway station. It is situated at the extremity of the county, bordering upon Shropshire, and is intersected by a branch of the Ellesmere canal. It contains the townships of Norbury and Marbury with Quoisley. The property formerly belonged to the Brereton, from whom it passed to the Tattoos, and subsequently to the Pooles. The village, which is con- siderable, is reckoned extremely healthy. Courts-leet are held for the manors of Marbury and Norbury. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £327. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Whitchurch, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing five bells, and a chancel, rebuilt by the late Earl of Bridgewater. It has a memorial E. window to the late Captain William Poole, who was killed in the Crimean war during the attack on the "Redan." The parochial charities produce about £27 per annum. There is a parochial school endowed with an annuity of £17. Earl Brownlow is lord of the manor."
"NORBURY, a township in the parish of Marbury, hundred of Nantwich, county Chester, 1 mile N. of Marbury, and 4 miles E. of Malpas. It is situated near the Ellesmere canal. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is a school, principally supported by the rector and the Marquis of Cholmondeley, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
"QUOISLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Marbury, hundred of Nantwich, county Chester, 3 miles N.E. of Whitchurch. It forms in conjunction with Marbury a township."
- 1988 April 1 — Abolished to become part of Anderton with Marbury.
- Northwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Northwich Rural District (1894-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-88)