Marton (near Winsford)
"MARTON, a township in the parish of WHITEGATE, or NEWCHURCH, first division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 4¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Northwich, containing 582 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Marton was a township in the ancient parishes of Whitegate and Over, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 6068), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1988 to become parts of Whitegate & Marton and Oakmere
- It included the hamlets of Beauty Bank, Cassia Green, Chester Lane Brook, Daleford, Newchurch, Nova Scotia and Nunsmere.
- The population was 431 in 1801, 641 in 1851, 549 in 1901, and 548 in 1951.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marton (near Winsford) to another place.
- 1883 March 25 — Gained a detached part of Over (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1891), and lost a detached part to Over (4 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
- 1894 — Lost the former detached part of Over (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1891), which became a separate unnamed parish in Winsford Urban Distict under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894
- 1927 October 1 — Lost part to Over (7 acres, pop. 0 in 1921)
- 1936 April 1 — Gained part of Over (11 acres, pop. 4 in 1931), and losts part to Oakmere (39 acres, pop. 10 in 1931) and Winsford (431 acres, pop. 91 in 1931)
You can see the administrative areas in which Marton (near Winsford) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ616682 (Lat/Lon: 53.209468, -2.576421), Marton (near Winsford) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)