"TRAFFORD (MICKLE), a township in that part of the parish of PLEMONSTALL which is in the lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, 3½ miles (N.E.) from Chester, containing 319 inhabitants. Here is a small school, partly supported by subscription." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"PLEMONSTALL, a parish comprising the townships of Hoole, Pickton, and Mickle-Trafford, in the lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, and the township of Bridge-Trafford, in the second division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 4¼ miles (N.E.) from Chester, and containing 710 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Earl of Bradford. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, stands in the town ship of Mickle-Trafford, a mile and a half north-east of the village of that name. There is a small endowed school, erected by subscription, more than a century ago. At Trafford, in this parish, a garrison was placed for the king, by Sir William Brereton, during the siege of Chester in the parliamentary war."[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- It should be noted that the ancient parish of Plemonstall did not contain a township of the same name
- Mickle Trafford, a township in Plemstall ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4469), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It included the hamlets of Plemstall and Trafford Bridge.
- The population was 247 in 1801, 303 in 1851, 268 in 1901, 348 in 1951, and 1831 in 2001.
- The civil parish was abolished in 2015 and incorporated into Mickle Trafford & District and Guilden Sutton.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
- Broxton (1828-71)
- Chester Castle (1871-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012-15)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mickle Trafford to another place.
There are separate pages for places that were also associated with the ancient parish of Plemonstall
- 1963 April 1 — Gained parts of Barrow (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961) and Bridge Trafford (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), and lost parts to Barrow (4 hectares, pop. 0 in 1961) and Bridge Trafford (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961).
- 2015 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Mickle Trafford & District and Guilden Sutton.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mickle Trafford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ445696 (Lat/Lon: 53.220537, -2.832679), Mickle Trafford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Chester Rural District (1894-1974)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)