Hide

Middlewich

hide
Hide

"MIDDLEWICH, a parish, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the township of Weever in the first division of the hundred of Eddisbury, the market-town of Middlewich, and the townships of Byley with Yatehouse, Clive, Croxton, Kinderton with Hulme, Minshull-Vernon, Mooresbarrow with Parme, Newton, Occlestone, Ravenscroft, Sproston, Stublach, Sutton, and Wimboldsley, in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, and containing 4450 inhabitants, of which number, 1212 are in the town of Middlewich, 20 miles (E.) from Chester, and 167 (N.W.) from London. ... More" [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Middlewich, also a township in Middlewich ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 7066), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • The population was 1190 in 1801, 1235 in 1851, 4669 in 1901, 6736 in 1951, and 13101 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Northwich (1837-1974)
  • Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
  • South Cheshire (1988-98)
  • Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Northwich (1828-99)
  • Middlewich & Sandbach (1899-1907)
  • Middlewich (1907-67)
  • South East Cheshire (1967-74)
  • Congleton (1974-92)
  • South Cheshire (1992+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Middlewich which are provided by:

topup

Directories

Transcription for Middlewich from Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831)

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"MIDDLEWICH, a parish, post and market town, in the hundreds of Northwich and Eddisbury, county Chester, 20 miles E. of Chester, 6 from Northwich, and 2 from the Winsford station on the London and North-Western line of railway. It is supposed to be the site of the Roman station called Condate, but the earliest notice of it is in the reign of Edward the Confessor, when it was held by the Earl of Mercia under the king. After the Conquest it was annexed to the earldom of Chester, and subsequently to the crown, under which it is held by the present lessee. The parish comprises the chapelries of Kinderton, Newton, Minshall, Vernon, Byley, and twelve townships. It is watered by the rivers Weaver, Wheelock, Croes or Crooke, and the Dane, which last here crosses the Grand Trunk or Trent and Mersey canal. The town of Middlewich is situated in the centre of the wiches or salt towns, hence the origin of its present name. It is lighted with gas, and contains several narrow streets with many thatched houses, although of late years it has been much modernised. The townhall is a modern erection. The upper part of the building is used for the holding of petty sessions and for public meetings, also by the literary and scientific institution and the savings-bank, while the lower part of the hall is used for provisions on market days. There are silk and cotton mills giving employment to a large number of hands, also corn mills. In the vicinity of the town are several brine springs, from which salt is made. About three parts of the land is in pasture and one-fourth arable. Constables are appointed at the court-leet of the lessee of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester, value £150. The parish church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a noble structure, with a tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains tombs of the Venables. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum.

topup

Historical Geography

Places in Middlewich ancient parish with separate pages

 

  • 1894 September 30 — Gained the parts in Middlewich Urban Sanitary District of Byley (pop. 0 in 1901), Kinderton cum Hulme (pop. 562 in 1901) and Newton (near Middlewich) (pop. 2872 in 1901)
  • 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Kinderton (874 acres, pop. 379 in 1931) and Tetton (15 acres, pop. 20 in 1931)

You can see the administrative areas in which Middlewich has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ703648 (Lat/Lon: 53.179666, -2.445917), Middlewich which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Middlewich Urban Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Middlewich Urban District (1894-1974)
  • Congleton (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Northwich
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Northwich (1885-1954)
  • Nantwich (1954-74)