"MOBBERLEY, a parish in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Nether Knutsford, containing 1198 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £ 23.3.4., and in the patronage of the Rev. J. H. Mallory. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, has a rich screen, the remains of a rood loft, and some stalls in the chancel: it was thoroughly repaired and the tower rebuilt with stone in 1533, at the expense of Sir John Talbot. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists., A free grammar school was founded, in 1569, by the Rev.William Griffith, who endowed it with the interest of £200. The manufacture of cotton is carried on at this place, a large factory affording employment to about one hundred persons. Three distinct courts baron are annually held for the several manors within the parish. A priory of Black canons, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Wilfrid, was founded here, in 1206, by Patrick de Modberley, who having only a life interest in the property with which he endowed it, the establishment existed but a short time." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Mobberley, a township and ancient parish in Bucklow hundred (SJ 7980), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Baguley Green, Barnes Brow, Burleyhurst, Gorsey Brow, Knolls Green, Newton, Paddockhill (part), Saltersley, Tipping Brow and Woodend.
- The population was 993 in 1801, 1275 in 1851, 1353 in 1901, 1913 in 1951, and 2546 in 2001.
|Knutsford Road, Knolls Green, Mobberley, Congregationalist|
|Pepper Street, New Mills, Mobberley, Independent|
|Faulkners Lane, Mobberley, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Hall Lane, Knolls Green, Mobberley, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Pepper Street, New Mills, Mobberley, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Graveyard Lane, Mobberley, Society of Friends (Quaker)|
- Altrincham (1837-98)
- Bucklow (1898-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-98)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mobberley to another place.
"MOBBERLEY, a parish in the hundred of Bucklow, county Chester, 2 miles N.E. of Knutsford, its post town, and 4 from Wilmslow. It is a station of the Northwich and Altrincham branch of the Cheshire Midland railway. The village, which is extensive, is situated on a branch of the river Bollin. In 1206 a priory of Black Canons was founded by the Mobberleys, but it existed only a short time. On the site of the priory is the old manor house, now in a ruinous condition, with the exception of an oak staircase and some empanelled rooms. It came through the Mobberleys and Talbots to the Leycesters of Toft, and so to the Mallory family. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture and in the manufacture of cotton goods. The parish, which comprises about 10,000 acres, is divided into three baronies, for each of which a distinct court is held annually by its lord. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester, value £524. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, is an ancient structure, with an embattled tower containing a clock and six bells. The church was restored by the Talbots in 1533, when the tower was rebuilt. The interior contains some stone stalls, a richly carved screen, and the remains of a rood-loft, also several marble monuments and a singular one painted on wood. The parochial charities produce about £31 per annum, of which £11 go to the free school, in which a Sunday-school is also held. There are places of worship for the Independents and Wesleyans. Mobberley Old Hall, New Hall, and Newton Hall are the principal residences, the latter being now occupied as a ladies' school."
You can see the administrative areas in which Mobberley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ794808 (Lat/Lon: 53.323869, -2.310434), Mobberley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95), Bucklow Rural District (1895-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)