MOTTRAM-in-LONGDEN-DALE, a parish in the hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Godley, Hattersley, Hollingworth, Matley, Mottram in Longden-Dale, Newton, Stayley-Bridge, and Tintwisle, and containing 10,086 inhabitants, of which number, 1944 are in the township of Mottram in Longden-Dale, 7 miles (E.N.E.) from Stockport.
The living comprises a rectory and a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £32. 3. 9., the former an impropriation belonging to the Bishop of Chester, the latter endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is in the later style of English architecture, with a handsome tower; it stands upon an eminence called War-hill; the vicarage-house, near it, is surrounded by intrenchments similar to those of a Roman station. In the churchyard lie the remains of Lawrence Earnshaw, an eminent self-taught genius in mechanics and the fine arts; he died in 1767. There is a place of worship for Independents, and another, with a school attached, belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists.
A free grammar school was founded, in 1612, by Robert Garside, and is endowed with about £53 per annum. There are also a parochial school, in which about four hundred children are taught, and a small subscription library.
The river Mersey, rising at the north-eastern extremity of the parish, separates it from Derbyshire on the south; and the Tame, from Lancashire on the north. At the village of Mottram, which consists of one long and spacious street, the Mersey expands into a broad stream, upon which are the extensive mills of Messrs. Marshland, occupying a large space excavated in the rock, and reaching to the middle of the river, which, lower down, is crossed by a stone bridge of one immense arch. Here are extensive manufactories for cotton and woollen goods, paper, and machinery; works for printing calico, and an establishment for smelting iron-ore, which abounds in the south-west part of the parish, and has the advantage of large collieries in the neighbourhood.
A court leet is held annually on Michaelmas-day, at which a constable is elected. There are fairs for cattle on April 27th and October 31st.
The Car Tor, rising above the village, is a precipitous elevation, eighty feet in perpendicular height, its face exhibiting various strata of rock, coal, slate, and freestone, disposed with great regularity; and the sides being partly clothed with foliage, it has a picturesque effect. Mottram hill rises above this to the height of four hundred and fifty feet, and even this, with the village, lies far beneath the adjacent immense heights of Charleworth Neck, Wernoth-Loe, &c the summits of which command most extensive prospects of the surrounding country. In this parish are the remains of Bucton castle, supposed to be of British origin.
From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie