"ALDERLEY, a parish in the hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Upper Alderley, Lower Alderley, and Great Warford, and containing 1477 inhabitants, of which number, 473 are in the township of Upper Alderley, and 668 in that of Lower Alderley, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Macclesfield. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £14. 10. 10., and in the patronage of Sir J. T. Stanley, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Baptists at Great Warford. Mines of lead, copper, and cobalt, have been worked in the neighbourhood, but the produce of ore has not been sufficient to encourage perseverance. A few of the inhabitants are engaged in weaving for the manufacturers of the neighbouring towns. A school-house, originally built in 1628 by the Rev. Hugh Shaw, curate of the parish, and since endowed with benefactions to the amount of £300, was rebuilt near the church a few years ago: there is also a small endowed free school in Lower Alderley. In Alderley park there is a large sheet of water, called Radnor mere, a wood near which contains some of the finest beech trees in England; and on the high ground of Aldersey Edge is a fine spring, called the Holy Well." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Nether Alderley, also a township in Alderley ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 8375), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Dean Green, Gatley Green, Monks Heath and Soss Moss.
- The population was 483 in 1801, 606 in 1851, 522 in 1901, 529 in 1951, and 571 in 2001.
- Alderley: St. Mary (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Nether Alderley.
- Macclesfield (1837-1998)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nether Alderley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Nether Alderley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ842763 (Lat/Lon: 53.283434, -2.238441), Nether Alderley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)