Newton by Chester
"NEWTON-by-CHESTER, a township in that part of the parish of ST-OSWALD, CHESTER, which is in the lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, 1¾ mile (N. N. E.) from Chester, containing 192 inhabitants. There is a tan-yard at Hookersbrook, in this township." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Newton by Chester was a township in St. Oswald's ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4168), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become parts of Chester and Hoole.
- It includes the hamlet of Flookersbrook.
- The population was 141 in 1801, 245 in 1851 and 1268 in 1901.