Hide

Newton by Daresbury

hide
Hide

"NEWTON-by-DARESBURY, a township in the parish of RUNCORN, hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Frodsham, containing 124 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Newton by Daresbury was a township in Daresbury chapelry of Runcorn ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 5881), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • In 1936 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Daresbury.
  • The population was 96 in 1801, 185 in 1851, and 169 in 1901.

For the period after 1936, see Daresbury.

Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Runcorn (1837-1936)
topup

Court Records

  • Bucklow (1828-39)
  • Daresbury (1839-1936)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1936 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Daresbury (785 acres, pop. 179 in 1931)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Runcorn Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Runcorn Rural District (1894-1936)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Runcorn
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Knutsford (1885-1936)