Hide

St Mary, Newton (near Hyde), Church of England

hide
Hide
image
Hide

St Mary,
Talbot Road,
Newton (near Hyde)

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

The church has/had a graveyard.

topup

Church History

It was founded in 1839.

Bower Street, Hyde. 

Church History

Built in 1839 as a chapel to Mottram In Longdendale: St. Michael, and in 1841 it became the district church for the township of Newton. The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Saint Mary Newton in Mottram" were described in the London Gazette on 21 December 1841: 

"The district is to consist of the township of Newton only, and is bounded on the north by the township of Duckinfield [sic], in the parish of Stockport; on the west and south west by the township of Haughton, in the parish of Manchester, and the township of Hyde, in the parish of Stockport; on the south by the township of Godley, in the parish of Mottram and on the south east and east by the townships of Matley and Staley, in the said parish" 

The district was affected by the following boundary changes: 

  • 1847 May 7 — reduced when part of the township of Newton was transferred to Godley cum Newton Green: St. John the Baptist. 
  • 1891 October 2 — reduced when part of the townshp of Newton was transferred to Newton Flowery Field: St. Stephen. 

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts 

Original Registers C 1839-2011 ; M 1842-2011 ; B 1839-1994 — Cheshire Archives (P 152)
C from 2011 ; M from 2011 ; B from 1994 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1839-1919 ; M 1842-1950 ; B 1839-1960 — Cheshire Archives
Bishop's Transcripts 1839-1872 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Archives ; Tameside Local Studies
Copies and Indexes CMB 1839-1872 (transcript) — Cheshire Archives
M 1842-2011 — Cheshire BMD (TA:CE33)
topup

Maps

It is located at SJ9615596467 (Lat/Lon 53.464931, -2.059391). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide