NEWTON IN MOTTRAM: St. Mary (Church of England)
Bower Street, Hyde.
Built in 1839 as a chapel to Mottram In Longdendale: St. Michael, and in 1841 it became the district church for the township of Newton. The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Saint Mary Newton in Mottram" were described in the London Gazette on 21 December 1841:
"The district is to consist of the township of Newton only, and is bounded on the north by the township of Duckinfield [sic], in the parish of Stockport; on the west and south west by the township of Haughton, in the parish of Manchester, and the township of Hyde, in the parish of Stockport; on the south by the township of Godley, in the parish of Mottram and on the south east and east by the townships of Matley and Staley, in the said parish"
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1847 May 7 — reduced when part of the township of Newton was transferred to Godley cum Newton Green: St. John the Baptist.
- 1891 October 2 — reduced when part of the townshp of Newton was transferred to Newton Flowery Field: St. Stephen.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
|Original Registers||C 1839-2011 ; M 1842-2011 ; B 1839-1994 — Cheshire Archives (P 152)|
C from 2011 ; M from 2011 ; B from 1994 — Church
|Microfilm Copies||C 1839-1919 ; M 1842-1950 ; B 1839-1960 — Cheshire Archives|
|Bishop's Transcripts||1839-1872 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Archives ; Tameside Local Studies|
|Copies and Indexes||CMB 1839-1872 (transcript) — Cheshire Archives|
M 1842-2011 — Cheshire BMD (TA:CE33)
|Explanatory Notes||Index of Churches|