Hide

Newton by Malpas

hide
Hide

"NEWTON-juxta-MALPAS, a township in the parish of MALPAS, higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, 1½ mile (S. W.) from Malpas, containing 18 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Newton by Malpas was a township in Malpas ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4645), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • The population was 23 in 1801, 31 in 1851, 19 in 1901, 9 in 1951, and 11 in 2001.
  • In 2015 the civil parish was abolished and incorporated into Malpas.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Wrexham (1837-53)
  • Whitchurch (1853-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012-15)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 2015 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Malpas.
topup

Politics & Government

  • Whitchurch Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Malpas Rural District (1894-1936)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1894-74)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Wrexham (1837-53)
  • Whitchurch (1853-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)