Newton (near Middlewich)
"NEWTON, a township in that part of the parish of MIDDLEWICH which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, ¼ mile (W.) from Middlewich, containing 1520 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Newton was a township in Middlewich ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 6966), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1894 to become parts of Middlewich and Kinderton.
- It included the hamlets of Newton Bank and Newton Heath, and most of the town of Middlewich.
- The population was 943 in 1801 and 1500 in 1851.
- Middlewich Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) *
- Northwich Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) **
* The part in Middlewich Urban Sanitary District (1875-94) was added to Middlewich civil parish in 1894.
** The part in Northwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94) became part of the civil parish of Kinderton in 1894.