Norbury (near Stockport)
"NORBURY, a chapelry in the parish of STOCKPORT, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 4¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Stockport, containing 680 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 royal bounty. Thomas Leigh, Esq. was patron in 1795. A school-house was erected about 1760, by Peter Leigh, Esq." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Norbury was a township in Stockport ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 9285), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1900 to become part of Hazel Grove & Bramhall
- It included part of the village of High Lane
- The population was 592 in 1801, 848 in 1851, and 1679 in 1901.
For the period after 1900, see Hazel Grove & Bramhall.
- 1900 September 30 — Abolished and incorporated into Hazel Grove & Bramhall (pop. 1679 in 1901)
- Stockport Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Stockport Rural District (1894-1900)